Appetizer: Spring Onion Soup
Main Course: Marinated Pork Loin in Puff Pastry
Green Beans with Pimentos
Dessert: Strawberry Cheesecake Trifle
¼ cup Unsalted Butter
2 ½ cups sliced Leeks (white tender part)
1 ½ cups sliced Spring Onions
3 tbl. Flour
2 cups Chicken Broth
2 cups plus 2 tbl. Milk
1 tsp. Salt
¼ tsp. Ground White Pepper
1 ½ - 2 cups Watercress
2 tbl. Heavy Cream
1. Melt butter in a large heavy sauce pan. Add the onions and sauté until wilted, about 4 min. Reduce heat to low, cover and sweat the onions , stirring occasionally, until tender, about 15 min. (note: do not let the onions brown). Sprinkle the flour over the onions. Cook, stirring constantly, 4 min. Remove from heat and set aside.
2. Heat the Chicken Broth, 2 cups Milk, Salt, and Pepper in a medium sauce pan until simmering. Return the onions to medium heat. Gradually whisk stock mixture into the onion mixture. Simmer, stirring constantly, until soup begins to thicken, about 5 min. Cover and simmer gently for about 20 min. stirring occasionally.
3. Purée soup in batches either in a food processor or blender, until smooth. Recipe can be prepared to this point and refrigerated. When ready heat to simmering and continue.
4. Plunge the watercress into boiling water for 30 seconds. Drain and squeeze the cress to extract all moisture. Combine the cress and 2 tbl. Heavy Cream and 2 tbl. Milk in a blender or food processor. Blend until smooth.
5. Ladle the soup into heated bowls. Add the watercress purée to the soup, swirling the green cream against the white soup, with a small spoon.
1 Marinated Pork Loin
1 Sheet prepared Puff Pastry
1. Bake the Marinated Pork Loin according to the instructions. Remove from the oven and allow it to cool.
2. Remove the Puff Pastry from the freezer and allow it to soften. Wrap the pork with the puff pastry.
3. Bake at 400°F oven until the pastry is browned.
Note: This recipe can be prepared through step 2 ahead of time. Wrap in Film Wrap and refrigerate up to 2 days or freeze. Thaw and bring to room temperature before baking.
2 cups Mashed Potatoes
2 Egg Yolks
½ cup Grated Swiss
1. Prepare any style mashed potatoes you like, e.g., garlic, cheese, etc. Be sure to leave them a little stiffer than normal. Beat the egg yolks into the warm potatoes one at a time.
2. Place the potatoes in a pastry bag fitted with a star tip. Pipe mounds of potatoes onto wax paper or parchment paper. Sprinkle with cheese and paprika. Store at room temperature or place in the freezer. (They can remain in the freezer for up to a month.)
3. To bake remove the desired amount from the freezer and bake in a 350°F to 400°F oven until they are golden.
Green Beans with Pimentos
French Cut Green Beans
Roasted Red Peppers
1. Steam the green beans. Season with salt, pepper, and butter to taste.
2. Garnish with strips roasted red peppers.
2 pints Fresh Strawberries
1 cup Sugar
16 oz. Cream Cheese
3 tbl. Orange Juice
3 cups Heavy Cream
1 Frozen Pound Cake (10 ¾ oz.)
3 oz. Semi Sweet Chocolate
Chocolate Curls, Pirouettes, Mint, Whole Strawberries for garnish.
q Remove the cream cheese from the refrigerator and let soften.
q Slice the strawberries. In a bowl, toss the sliced strawberries with ½ cup of the sugar; set aside.
q Cut the pound cake up into ½ inch cubes, set aside
q Coarsely grate the chocolate, set aside.
q Whip the heavy cream, set aside
q In a bowl beat the cream cheese, orange juice, and remaining ½ cup of sugar until smooth. Fold in the whipped cream and set aside.
q Drain the strawberries reserving the juice. Set the berries aside and gently toss the pound cake in the reserved juice.
q Place half of the cake in a 4 qt. Trifle Bowl. Top with a third of the cream cheese mixture. Next layer with half of the sliced strawberries and half of the grated chocolate. Repeat the layers and top with the remaining cream cheese mixture.
q Garnish with Mint, Strawberries, etc. if desired
q Cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours.